Monday, February 2, 2015

Review: Gooseberry Island by Steven Manchester


Genre:
Fiction

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
The Story Plant

Release Date:
January 2015





It’s the night before he is scheduled to go to war when David McClain meets a beautiful woman named Lindsey Wood. At his going away party, they spend the whole evening together, alone, getting to know each other. Their attraction clicked immediately and, even though he was leaving the country the next day, they vowed to continue their relationship.

David and Lindsey keep close contact through letters, e-mail and they are even able to Skype with each other. Their love continues to grow stronger with each passing day.

Then, after David’s service comes to an end, he returns home. However, things are not the same. Their love is still there, but the war has changed David. There are things he had gone through that a civilian couldn’t understand. He tries to handle it on his own, but it’s not long before he realizes that he’s suffering from PTSD and needs help. Lindsey wants that help to be her, but he doesn’t want to drag her into his tormented world.

I thought I might be bothered that David and Lindsey seemed to fall in love so fast, but it worked. The relationship is written in a way that makes sense and feels natural. Their story is poignant and heatwrenching.

This story brings you directly onto the battlefield, as well as, what a soldier grows through upon returning home. It’s an emotional read with realistic characters. There are so many aspects to this story – romance, dealing with the war before and after, abuse, PTSD – it will tear your heart out. Gooseberry Island is beautifully written and draws out all your emotions. It makes you cry and there are times you will even smile. Steven Manchester knows how to touch his readers’ hearts.



For reading challenges:
Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge 2015
NetGalley & Edelweiss Reading Challenge 2015

FTC Disclosure: The author and NetGalley provided me with a copy of this book to review. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.


1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.